Sunday 29 December 2013

district 13




Some favourite moments:

"So I learned to hold my tongue and to turn my features into an indifferent mask so that no one could ever read my thoughts." - be well-researched and compelling


"Gale says I never smile except in the woods." - wood walks or smiles


"...the Capitol accent is affected, almost anything sounds funny in it." - less affectation vs funny


"Since almost no one can afford doctors, apothecaries are our healers." - free medicine


"I'm not the forgiving type." - not applicable


"So instead of acknowledging applause, I stand there unmoving while they take part in the boldest form of dissent they can manage. Silence. Which says we do not agree. We do not condone. All of this is wrong." - silence


"It is an old and rarely used gesture of our district, occasionally seen at funerals. It means thanks, it means admiration, it means goodbye to someone you love." - thanks


"Exactly how am I supposed to work a thank-you in there? Somehow it just won't seem sincere if I am trying to slit his throat." - wit and humour


"Crying is not an option. There will be more cameras at the train station." - no crying


"... it isn't in my nature to go down without a fight." - obvious


"But I have had a lot of practice at wiping my face clean of emotions and I do this now." - acting


"Destroying things is much easier than making them." - make

"That would give me something to cling to in the surreal world of the arena, where the authenticity of everything is to be doubted."- authenticity

"What would my life be like on a daily basis? Most of it has been consumed with the acquisition of food. Take that away and I am not really sure who I am, what my identity is. The idea scares me some." - purpose

"...they did a full body polish on you." - body polishes

"There's this sort of upbeat soundtrack playing under it that makes it twice as awful because, of course, almost everyone on screen is dead." - comic irony with underscoring

"But I do notice they omit the part where I covered her in flowers." - more flowers

"A wave of gratitude to the filmmakers sweeps over me when they end not with the announcement of our victory, but with me pounding on the glass door of the hovercraft, screaming Peeta's name as they try to revive him." - know how to end

No comments: