Monday 29 December 2014

19 - and one month...


    Photo: Robin Savage

THE GREAT WARRIOR

Extract from Episode 3 - CHILD SOLDIERS: white feathers

INDIAN KING Everyone was very excited about the prospect of fighting. Times were different. Most children left school at the age of 14 and some had part-time jobs from the age of 11. And people who may have been poor had a greater purpose: to defend their empire. Laurie: you be the Recruiting Officer! Joseph: you try to convince Laurie you are 19. Go! Enlist for war!

MOTHER I am not sure that I like this playing.

THE INDIAN KING MAKES PREPARATION FOR THIS ENLISTMENT

BOY [In a deeper voice than usual] Morning! I want to join up.

SOLDIER You’re too young.

BOY No, I’m not.

SOLDIER How old are you?

BOY [He stands on the Indian platform] 19 [He thinks] and one month.

SOLDIER That is fine for enlisting but it is not old enough for fighting overseas with the Imperial Service. Go over there and have a read, lad! And then perhaps when you return you might be old enough.

THE BOY GOES AND READS / TIME PASSES / HE RETURNS

GIRL That’s ridiculous!

BOY [In a deeper voice than usual] Morning! I want to join up.

SOLDIER You’re too young.

BOY No, I’m not.

SOLDIER How old are you?

BOY 20 – and one month.

SOLDIER I don’t believe you.

BOY Well, if you don’t believe me, Mr, I can go home and get my birth certificate if you like.

SOLDIER Oh, that’s alright. I’ll take your word for it. You’re in!

BOY Thanks.

MOTHER [Interrupting] That is not good! Leave my Boy alone! Joseph: you will not fight!

No comments: